Here is a list of some of my favorite charities that are making a real difference in the world:
- Against Malaria Foundation - Mosquitoes love me. I'm lucky to live in a malaria free area, but millions are not. A $5 donation will provide a insecticide-treated bed net to a family in Africa that will last for years and save lives. Probably the biggest life-saving impact you can make with your money.
- The Malala Fund - I am amazed by this young woman! The Malala Fund was started by Malala, the beautiful 15 year old girl who was shot by the Taliban for encouraging girls to go to school. The Malala Fund aims to end the social, economic, legal and political factors that deny girls around the world the education they deserve. Hear Malala talk about her mission here.
- First Book - My kids are all addicted to books and I can't imagine them not having access to books to read. First Book distributes books and educational resources to low-income families and schools throughout the United States and Canada. Many of these books are used by children who otherwise would have no access to books which are a cornerstone of learning to read which is necessary for education.
- Unicef - Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines last week and Unicef needs donations to help the thousands in need. United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund is a United Nations Program that provides long-term humanitarian and developmental assistance to children and mothers in developing countries.
- Schistosomiasis Control Initiative - I can't pronounce the name either, but as one of the three highest ranked charities in the world for providing the most good per dollar, SCI needs your help! Assits African governments with treatment and prevention of parasitic worms. Worm-based diseases can be prevented for less than 50 cents per child per year and this results in healthier children with improved school attendance.
- Heifer International - Alton Brown does a good job explaining how Heifer International works in this video. With a "teach a man to fish" philosophy, Heifer International donates animals and training to families in need around the world.
What are your favorite charities and how are you going to help those in need this holiday season?