- VERTICAL LOADING – Gravity is necessary for health. In order for gravity to exert a positive and dynamic influence on the body it must me vertically aligned in its postures.
- DYNAMIC TENSION – A state of constant tension exists between the front of the body and the back of the body. The posterior of the body is responsible for the erection of the body and the anterior of the body is responsible for the flexion, or bending of the body. Nei- ther activity can take place without this action taking place simultaneously.
- FORM AND FUNCTION – Simply stated, bones do what muscles tell them to do. All skel- etal motion is initiated by muscular activity.
- BREATHING – The body may not function without oxygen. So essential is this law that the body has redundant systems to ensure compliance.
- MOTION – All of the body’s systems, i.e. digestive, immune, and so on are interrelated. The common thread that binds them together is movement. The faster the molecules of the body move the higher the metabolic rate. The higher the metabolic rate the healthier the human being becomes. We are designed to run, jump, and climb, fall and skip and this activity is necessary not just for initial development but for continued health throughout our lives. If these activities hurt or cause pain it is because we are violating some or all of the laws of health.
- BALANCE – In order for the law of motion to be effective and true the body must achieve balance, defined as muscle memory, necessary to constantly return the body to the first law of vertical load. In order for this to occur muscles must work in pairs and equally on both sides of the body. Being right or left-handed hinders this balance only when we violate the law of motion.
- STIMULUS – The body reacts to all stimulus 24 hours per day regardless of the conscious state for health. Therefore, the law of motion constantly reinforces this law. If motion is deprived the law of stimulus becomes stressful to the body. The body absorbs pollutants and irritants rather than viewing them as of no consequence.
- RENEWAL – The body is organic, and therefore it is in a constant state of growth or rebirth. Muscles, bones, nerves, connective tissues, cartilage, etc. are all alive. If the body is not re- newing it is because we are violating the laws of physical health.
The more laws we violate, the faster we age and die.
These Eight Laws of Physical Health are from Pete Egoscue's book Pain Free. They are a way to take the seemingly complex human body and confusing healthcare industry with millions of options and differing opinions, and break it down to what matters. If a product or treatment violates any of these eight laws, as Pete says, "Something is wrong." Look for healthcare providers, procedures, treatments, and products that believe in and support these 8 laws and avoid those that do not. This will ensure you are treating and using your body as it was intended and lead to a long and healthy life.
About Matt Whitehead
I'm an Egoscue University certified Postural Alignment Specialist (PAS) and Advanced Exercise Therapist (AET), certified personal trainer, PatchFitness performer, FiveFingers wearer, trail runner, cyclist, dad, music lover, environmentalist, hiker, and wanna-be slam dunk champion. I will be providing you with the latest posture exercises to help you live, play, and be pain free.